I have spent over 25 years successfully developing, administering and improving programs and organizations. I have hired, coached, and mentored individual staff and teams to bring out their best and increase productivity and satisfaction on the job. I have written two books on communication skills and am in the process of writing my third on employee engagement.
I specialize in helping people communicate with confidence and clarity through 1:1 coaching with supervisors and team leadership and with group and team training. My expertise lies in helping team leaders understand communication behavior and styles, and how to navigate the myriad of human resource issues that come up on a day-to-day basis.
My training and experience includes:
- BA in Communications and M.Ed. from Western Washington University
- Senior Human Resources Manager (SHRM) Certification (in progress)
- Graduate of the Cascade Public Executive Program (University of Washington)
- Certified in Performance Coaching
- Trained Mediator, Thurston County Dispute Resolution Center
- Green Belt in Lean Six Sigma (process improvement)
- Emergency Manager Certificate from FEMA
- Author of Dancing with Strangers, and 52 Communication Tips
A sampling of clients include: Pierce College District, Nevada State Assembly, Washington Department of Commerce, Washington State Senate, National Council of State Legislators, Inter-agency Committee of State Employed Women, Thurston County Department of Health, Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals, Maryland College Savings, Washington Executive Assistants Group, Comstock Physical Therapy, and the Washington Women’s Leadership Conference. For testimonials from participants, see my Training page
In additional to my work coach and trainer, I am also the Director of Washington’s College Savings Plan and am the past Chair of the national College Savings Plans Network (CSPN). I married my college sweetheart 39 years ago, have two fully launched children, a new grand baby, and a mini-dachshund that runs our house. I love to hike, garden, bake, taste wine, and am usually into some new hobby or adventure!
I’d love to assist you in any way I can. For more information or to schedule a free, 15 min 1:1 coaching session, please contact me directly.
Betty Lochner, M.Ed.